CHATHAM FILM CLUBBECOME A MEMBER
The Chatham Film Club was organized in 1998 at a small gathering of neighbors and friends who were interested in bringing art, independent and foreign films to Columbia County. The group approached Tony Quirino, owner of the single screen Crandell Theatre, and inquired about renting the theater for once a month Sunday matinees. The Chatham Film Club was born and has sponsored programming at the Crandell Theatre ever since, serving its 800 plus members and movie lovers from around the region.
In 2000, the Film Club joined forces with the Columbia County Council on the Arts to produce the first FilmColumbia festival, a weekend of films at the Crandell. Every October since, the Film Club has produced the festival, which has now expanded to five days and multiple venues in Chatham.
Twelve years after its partnership began, the Film Club and the Crandell faced an uncertain future with the unexpected closing of the theatre in January, 2010. With generous donations from members, foundations, patrons and friends, the Film Club purchased the Crandell Theatre. After a month of renovations, the Crandell reopened on July 9, 2010.
Through the continued and vital community support, the Chatham Film Club continues to preserve, maintain and improve the Crandell Theatre, sustaining it as the jewel of Main Street that it has been since it opened in 1926.
- Annie Brody Executive Director
- Matt Converse Theater Manager
- Dawn Steward Office Manager
Board of Directors
- Fred Ulrich
- Peter Biskind
- Mary Gail Biebel
- Emily Rossi-Snook
- Sandi Knakal
- Bill Barrett
- Judy Grunberg
- Sharon Grubin
- Laurence Kardish
- Lael Locke
- Sara McWilliams
- Calliope Nicholas